We’ve been back from holiday/vacation for a week now and I’ve still got a lot of catching up to do.
This month’s Rainbow Scrappy colour is purple. Yummy :) yet I’ve still to play with my purples and I still have a yellow house block to make from last month, not to mention several BOMs to catch up on, LOL… Anyway, here are a few finishes I managed before I went off.
First up, I finished the crochet edging on DD’s doll’s quilt. I learned quite a lot during this process and if I try it again I will certainly know better. If anyone would like to have a go at this, Heidi of Speckless blog shows you here. (part 1, 2 follows on from that)
While visiting mum, I finished off her crochet cover for her foot stool.
This was a “make it up as you go along” project. First I did a granny square for the top and then using SC (DC UK) I proceeded to turn it into a cube shape. However, I got a bit fed up with the SC so near the bottom I changed the pattern and did what I thought I remembered from the lacy pattern on the doll quilt. The yarn from this was from a very old poncho that had seen better days. It was at least 40years old ;)
Another project that bites the dust is an apron made from an old dress which belonged to mum. Here is a picture of the old dress and the new apron. Another “make it up as you go along” project for me as I am not a dress maker and hadn’t much of a clue of how to do most of this. There was a lot of frog stitching in this apron, but, I learned a lot during the process.
There is more of this dress left to use but I don’t think I’ll be doing anything just yet.
Okay, so I’m behind on a number of BOMs and in particular on Kathleen Tracy’s Quilt a Month challenges. I still have to finish March’s baskets and to start April’s and May’s challenges. And yet, I’ve made a start on October’s challenge which hasn’t yet begun. Can you make any sense of that? But I am enjoying the process. The challenge for October will be the little hexagon flower quilt in Kathy’s book “The Civil War Sewing Circle”. The size of the hexagon is .6 of an inch and I did start to make the templates from card stock with the aid of a hexagonal graph paper pdf generator from Incompetech.com here. However, as I was cutting out the templates I got to thinking about the fabric and how I was going to cut those. I thought about printing out the Inklingo .5 hexagon shape onto the fabric and perhaps using those to squeeze around the template. Then I wondered what on earth I was thinking!
To cut a long story short, I’ve printed out a heap of .5 hexagons with the Inklingo collection and will be hand piecing those, minus the card templates and making the blocks to fit them. After all what’s in 1/8th of an inch? Not a lot at the end of the day. My quilt will be a tad smaller that’s all and the prep time cut in more than half.
Anyway, here is a mock up of the pieces I’ve printed and cut so far, placed over the background fabric I plan to use… unless DD manages to change my mind since she doesn’t like the brown background. But the quilt is not for her. There won’t be as much background as it appears here. Oh and the picture doesn’t show the true colours on my screen but there are a few purples in this ;)
To end my post, here is a picture of Biscuit cuddling up to Penny. They finally bonded! I missed the moment Penny gave Biscuit a thorough grooming of his back end (which he can’t manage for himself because of his lameness).
He’s becoming quite frail now but still has a lot of spirit in him and can some how manage to get down 3 steps and up another to go onto the lawn to munch the grass and weeds very quickly. He’s on pain meds for arthritis.